How to Make Mushroom Saute – Mantar Sote


Mushroom sauté or more commonly called in Turkish as mantar sote is one of the many delicious quick and easy dishes you can make at home. First of all, it is one of my favorite side dishes that include mushrooms.  I just love the taste of mushrooms! It's even one of the major ingredients I want in my pizza.


So just when it comes to preparing quick and easy sautéed dishes at home, I would definitely choose to make mantar sote.  Besides, mushrooms are just so easy to chop - that’s one reason that also makes this dish quick and easy, too.  The mushrooms I'm using in this recipe are the white ones which are soft and smooth to the touch (see photo below) so chopping them comes so easy that I could quickly finish chopping half a kilo of mushrooms even with a dull knife - in no time! (lol)

Actually, I mostly cook this dish with chicken breasts (chopped in small cube sizes) to make this dish a little meaty.  Moreso, its because my little son really loves to eat chicken so adding small bite sizes of chicken into this dish would make it into tavuklu mantar sote which means mushroom saute with chicken (I will also post a separate article on this soon).  Yet today, I don’t have enough chicken breasts available in the fridge (not even in the freezer where I used to stock them), so I decided to just make a healthy mushroom saute dish - without the chicken.  Also, in the absense of chicken in the recipe this makes it a plain vegetarian dish.  However,  I'm adding carrots to the recipe (as an optional ingredient) just to add some color and a little more healthy vegetable to the usual - say, regular mantar sote that’s usually served here in Turkey (without the carrots).

Check out my recipe below and enjoy making it yourself... soon!

Ingredients:
These mushrooms are so easy to chop!
  • ½ kilo mushrooms, thoroughly washed, drained, and sliced
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 medium tomato, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 green peppers, chopped
  • 3 red peppers, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 2 cups boiling water
  • 1 teaspoon thyme
  • black pepper
  • salt
Optional:  1 medium carrot, chopped

Directions: 
  1. In a saucepan, sauté onions with olive oil over medium heat. Once the onions become transparent, add the garlic, green and red peppers and stir.
  2. Sauté for just about 2-3 minutes before adding in the mushrooms and carrots.
  3. Once the mushrooms and carrots are stirred thoroughly, sauté for about 5 minutes more. 
  4. Then add the tomatoes, tomato paste and boiling water, and the rest of the ingredients. Stir thoroughly and cook over medium low heat. 
  5. Once the mushrooms and carrots are soft, you can add some more salt and black pepper depending on your taste.
Now your mushroom sauté dish is ready to serve with either pilaf, bulgur, or any of your favorite pasta.  Afiyet olsun!

No comments:

Post a Comment