Menemen - Turkish breakfast of scrambled eggs



I have always loved making menemen for breakfast.  And even though I’m trying so hard not to have eggs everyday for my early morning meal, I still make menemen once in a while (at least once in a week) to satisfy my appetite for this delicious Turkish-style scrambled eggs.  If you’ll ask me why, its because in making a single serving of menemen, you just don’t consume one whole egg but at least 2-3 more.  Now I don’t want to have too much eggs in my diet, so I have to stick to my rule that I should only have menemen once or at most twice a week.  And most of the time,  I do prefer to have menemen on my breakfast table during a lazy weekend.  

In fact, I have written a menemen recipe before in one of my hubs (click here) but earlier today, I made another slight variation of menemen out of fewer ingredients. Now if you will probably wonder why, then I have to honestly tell you that it is because I don’t always find all those ingredients (I'm referring to my previous menemen recipe) available in the fridge all the time. So this morning when my appetite for menemen kicked in and I realized that aside from onions, I could only find tomatoes and green peppers in the kitchen to go along with the eggs, then that's when I decided to cook menemen out of what I have at that moment – and that means, making menemen with just a few ingredients. You will see it in the recipe I provided below.  And guess what, it tasted just as delicious as the one on my previous recipe.  So I thought I should also post this one here and share this much more simpler recipe with you.

Ingredients:  
  • 4 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped into small chunks
  • 4 green peppers, chopped
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 4 large eggs
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil (you can also use any vegetable oil)
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
  1. Once all the tomatoes, peppers, and onions are chopped, you may now start heating the olive oil in a pan.
  2. Saute the chopped onions and green peppers.
  3. Once the onions become transparent, immediately add the chopped tomatoes and saute for just about 4-5 minutes. 
  4. Meanwhile, beat the eggs in a small bowl.  Add salt and pepper.
  5. Once the vegetables become tender and soft, pour on the eggs.  Stir constantly until the eggs begin to firm.  
  6. Add a little more salt or pepper to suit your taste.  
  7. Serve immediately with ekmek while menemen is sizzling hot. 
This recipe makes 2-3 servings.  Afiyet olsun!


2 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm Ana from Fooduel.com. It is a site in which users vote recipes
    from 1 to 10.

    There is a ranking of the best recipes and a profile with your voted recipes. Each recipe has a link to the blog which belongs the recipe. This way you will get traffic to your blog.

    It's easy, fast and fun. The best Photo recipes will be here.

    I invite you to enter, add your blog and upload a recipe with a nice photo.

    You are able to see your stats:

    -Number of visits to your blog from Fooduel.com.
    -Number of votes received every day
    -Number of votes received by each category
    -Number of votes for each grade (1-10)
    -Number of votes for each recipe.

    Look this example of one profile stats: http://fooduel.com/stats1.png

    We would love that you participate with some recipe.Look Amazing!

    Regards

    http://www.Fooduel.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your pictures and recipes, they are mouth watering. Would love for you to share them with us at foodieportal.com. Over at foodieportal.com we are not photography expert snobs, we are just foodies.

    ReplyDelete