I have always loved making menemen for breakfast. And even though I’m trying so hard not to have eggs everyday for my early morning meal, I still make menemen once in a while (at least once in a week) to satisfy my appetite for this delicious Turkish-style scrambled eggs. If you’ll ask me why, its because in making a single serving of menemen, you just don’t consume one whole egg but at least 2-3 more. Now I don’t want to have too much eggs in my diet, so I have to stick to my rule that I should only have menemen once or at most twice a week. And most of the time, I do prefer to have menemen on my breakfast table during a lazy weekend.
In fact, I have written a menemen recipe before in one of my hubs (click here) but earlier today, I made another slight variation of menemen out of fewer ingredients. Now if you will probably wonder why, then I have to honestly tell you that it is because I don’t always find all those ingredients (I'm referring to my previous menemen recipe) available in the fridge all the time. So this morning when my appetite for menemen kicked in and I realized that aside from onions, I could only find tomatoes and green peppers in the kitchen to go along with the eggs, then that's when I decided to cook menemen out of what I have at that moment – and that means, making menemen with just a few ingredients. You will see it in the recipe I provided below. And guess what, it tasted just as delicious as the one on my previous recipe. So I thought I should also post this one here and share this much more simpler recipe with you.
- 4 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped into small chunks
- 4 green peppers, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (you can also use any vegetable oil)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Once all the tomatoes, peppers, and onions are chopped, you may now start heating the olive oil in a pan.
- Saute the chopped onions and green peppers.
- Once the onions become transparent, immediately add the chopped tomatoes and saute for just about 4-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat the eggs in a small bowl. Add salt and pepper.
- Once the vegetables become tender and soft, pour on the eggs. Stir constantly until the eggs begin to firm.
- Add a little more salt or pepper to suit your taste.
- Serve immediately with ekmek while menemen is sizzling hot.
This recipe makes 2-3 servings. Afiyet olsun!